Valletta, Malta – might be considered a gateway to another world, to the Middle-East. From here the ship can sail the Suez Canal or venture the longer way across the globe. Your itinerary may be Ancient Arabia, India & the Med or Island hopping the Adriatic or taking in Greece and Turkey, with ports as exciting as Piraeus (for Athens) Greece, Tourlos (Mykonos) in Greece, Kusadasi, Limassol, Antalya in Turkey, Rhodes in Greece and Thira in Santorini. It now becomes obvious why Malta has always been so strategically important. With tales of Greek Mythology amongst a littered history you may well need a good guide and a note book! If you are carrying your globe stress ball you can take a look.
Valletta (or Il-Belt) is a small walled city established in the 1500s on a peninsula by the Knights of St. John, a Roman Catholic order. It is the capital of the Mediterranean island nation of Malta. It’s known for museums, palaces, grand churches and glass blowing. Baroque landmarks include St. John’s Co-Cathedral, whose opulent interior is home to the Caravaggio masterpiece “The Beheading of Saint John.”
Ta Qali Craft Village is about 10 minutes away from Madina. Glass Blowing is something Malta is famous for. Valletta Glass blowing is likely to feature as an excursion or appear somewhere in your visit of Malta.
A tour will reveal some of Valletta’s history, but you may wish to cover the streets of Valletta, the Grandmaster’s Palace, the House of Parliament and the Castille Palace. Also visit Mdina, the island’s old capital which is the walled city full of Medieval and Baroque architecture. Cars are not allowed which may be why they call it the Silent City. You will need to take a boat trip to the Blue Grotto. That is a 50 metre-deep cave. The trip may also take in Valletta’s two natural harbours in detail. Napoleon and Nelson were amongst the many to stake temporary claims here.
CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Adriatic Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATDORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to MALTA – click here
- P&O Cruises on MALTA – click here
- Marella Cruises to MALTA – Click hereHAT and share your love of small ships, and answer other peoples questions. Join the Fred Olsen Cruise Chat Facebook Group.
- There has yet to be a book written in the Solo Cruiser series that is based around a mediterranean Cruise, but we here that one is being planned and that it takes place on a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise. The 4th book based in Florida and the Caribbean is due out early 2018. For now, if you have not read them, like in 50 Shades you might skim through the raunchy bits, but they are great cruise books with good stories. It never seems to work out the way it should though. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.
- MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE DESTINATIONS – MENU – CLICK HERE FOR GUIDES, TOWNS, CITIES & TOURS