Though it is said to be famous for 3 things, Abba, Ikea and Nobel, the Changing of the Guard to the music of a Swedish Armed Forces marching band at the palace is a spectacle. It is easy to find as it is inside the main palace and can be combined with a leisurely walk round the 13th century Old Town but get there early to have a good spot. It starts at 12.15 and lasts about 40 minutes. On Sundays it starts at 1.15. Note the times and plan around them if you wish to see more of the fourteen islands and 50 bridges that make up Stockholm. The Royal Guards march from the Obelisk, on Slottsbacken to the south side of the Royal Palace ready to start. You are not allowed to climb the building to try and get a better view. Here is the film of the changing of the guard Between the three films and the various guides we hope you can plan your stay. Please share our films. AABENRAA AARHUS AARLBORG AMSTERDAM BRUGES COPENHAGEN FREDERICIA GDANSK GOTHENBURG HAMBURG HELSINGBORG HELSINKI HUNDESTED KALUNDBORG KIELE KLAIPEDA MALMO MARIEHAHN MURMANSK OSLO RIGA RØNNE SKAGEN ST PETERSBURG STOCKHOLM TALLINN TRAVEMUNDE VISBY WARNEMUNDE Stockholm Royal Palace Map Stockholm Printable Tourist Map
To see this planning your movement is key. The Abba Museum is on another island with the Tivoli amusement park. If you are off the ship early you could take the ferry and go there first, or rush there after the guard. But then you have to fit in the Old Town. Our advice is to always do the things furthest away from the ship first and end up close to home. The ship waits for no man or woman. Tips…
- STOCKHOLM is a full day, start early plan your route to hit times if you want to see the Changing of the guard.
- Abba Museum first by ferry from the shuttle coach drop off.
- Back for the midday Changing Of The Guards, then the Old Town.
- Walking Shoes. (see our film on what to take on the Baltic)
- Please share your pictures with us and share these films with other cruisers.CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Baltic Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
See an overview of a complete Baltic Cruise route here, and go direct to the operator’s sites via their cards on this site or links below. Direct via these links will give you the latest best deal and availability. Here we have all the Baltic destinations and many of the tours, some it is way cheaper to book on line below before you travel.
- P&O Cruises to Stockholm – Click here
- Fred Olsen Cruises to Stockholm – Click here
- Marella Cruises – Marella Baltic Cruises
Walking Shoes and what to pack. This is cruise of discovery and in maybe seven port stops with seven cities to explore you might need good shoes and few things.FRED OLSEN BALTIC CRUISE MARELLA BALTIC CRUISE P&O BALTIC CRUISE SAGA new ships in BALTIC If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, please subscribe to our YouTube Channel and like our Facebook Page and share with fellow cruisers. We are at sea every month of the year somewhere and post new films of cruise destinations each week.
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. We show cruise destinations all over the world. From St Lucia to Barcelona, from Tallinn to Tenerife, from Rome to Russia. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share.