Seriously, this incredible experience we stumbled upon, should be a tour, but scheduling it would be a nightmare because no one knows when the Chi Chi fish will come. It is a fantastic look into the life of people of St Vincent shared with us by the local villagers of Buccament, who told us the baby fish can come any time in the rainy season, from June to December, this film was shot in November. Buccament is a village on the way to Layou on the leeward side of St. Vincent. Buccament Bay is the only white sand beach area in St Vincent and the fish water that flows into the sea under a bridge attracts the baby Chi Chi fish. One dollar on a local bus with the friendliest people only too happy to chat and share. The small fish gather in the protection of submerged palm leaves, but it is a trap set by local fishermen and women. This fishing is done by families who all wade into the water a weigh down a large sheet with rocks. They then place palms over it and wait for the fish to swarm in. When full, the family gather to raise the sheet. Each sheet produces about five buckets of fish, which at market brings in $300 a net. When this happens the rum flows and by lunch time they were all dancing and singing.
The film of the fishing is here, but, it is actually a tour from the ship because to get to the beach on the ships tour you have to go over the bridge, so those who bought this tour got an extra treat into life on the beautiful island of St. Vincent. On the way to the Leeward bus station to go to Buccament Jean meets Ruth selling the fish in the market. They appear to be similar to a white bait type of meal, small lightly fried fish. However, when we did some research it appears in some places the larger version of the fish is drunk as a shot, live. Seeing this volume of small fish and looking out to the ocean beyond makes you wonder at the circle of life and its enormity.
Seen anything special like this? – Let others know. CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Caribbean Chat – If you love the Caribbean then share here. Chat and answer other people’s questions. Here is where you are the knowledge base – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATSt Vincent 2017 Road and Beach Map – download here from Doris Visits If you want to look for this area on your may, Buccament is the only white beach ball, meaning white sand. There are two yellow beach balls and the rest are black meaning volcanic rock sand. The best beaches are on the small islands off this main island. See our films on Kingstown and Beach, St Vincent, and the island of Bequia.
- P&O Cruises – Book your P&O cruise to St Vincent – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your Fred Olsen cruise to St Vincent – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- TUI Cruises click here or for the late Marella Cruise deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Find out more about the entertainers working at sea ON BOARD ENTERTAINMENT join their Facebook Pages and & please share with your friends.
READ the CRUISE as you CRUISE the SEA. If you know a great novel set at a cruise destination, tell us and we will add it to the destination page and credit you with the suggestion and on which ship you read it.
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Luxury River Cruising – For a look at life on the river – Click Here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here