St Kitts is a very pleasant town to walk around and an easy town in which to take a local bus. We went to Brimstone Hill Fortress with a very helpful driver, and maybe should have gone further into the next village just to look at life, but after the 40 minute hike up the hill, seeing the extensive fort, then a 25 minute hike back down we were rather tired. The bus was very easy and we did not have to wait either going or returning, like all the local Caribbean buses they are very regular. The chance to meet with local people and ask questions should never be missed.
CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Caribbean Chat – If you love the Caribbean then share here. Chat and answer other people’s questions. Here is where you are the knowledge base – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATAs you can see from the film, not only is it an extensive fort, there are more cannons than i have ever seen, in one place. The British realised the potential of the Hill as a place of defence and fortified it. A word or warning, there are ledges and areas at height with no safety rails, so if taking children extreme care should be taken. At the top, there is a short orientation film but it does not go into the details I was asking like how do they get everything up the hill. There is a bar, with wi-fi and a gift shop. As always everyone was super friendly.
AZURA CHAT. Click here or the picture to join Azura chat, news and information that you might not get anywhere else.
The word Brimstone means ‘Sulphur’, a component of gunpowder. The fortress is on a steep 972 feet high hill close to the sea on the Western, Caribbean coast of St. Kitts. Cannons were first mounted there in 1689 during the Nine Years’ War when the French used them to capture the English Fort Charles. The English recaptured the fort a year later and made it a fortress, mounting 24-pound cannon. In 1711 and 1731, lightning destroyed the gunpowder magazine. By 1736, the fort had 49 guns and within years it was considered impregnable. Some call it “The Gibraltar of the Caribbean”.
In 1965 the Society for the Restoration of Brimstone Hill was founded and the first complete restoration, The Prince of Wales Bastion was opened in 1975 by HRH. Prince Charles.
Find out more about the entertainers working at sea ON BOARD ENTERTAINMENT join their Facebook Pages and & please share with your friends.
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, we invite you to comment at the end of our blogs, and ask you for follow us on here on www.DorisVisits.com and like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get the best from us. We are always looking for presenters and social media activists to help us expand so drop us a line anytime with ideas at press@DorisVisits.co.uk PLEASE SHARE
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA.
- P&O Cruises – Book your P&O cruise to St Kitts – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your Fred Olsen cruise to Kitts – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
READ the CRUISE as you CRUISE the SEA. If you know a great novel set at a cruise destination, tell us and we will add it to the destination page and credit you with the suggestion and on which ship you read it.
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Luxury River Cruising – For a look at life on the river – Click Here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here