We have never done much with Silversea Cruises so we were surprised to get a press release for them. It appears one of their ships is going for new knees! The bit where the saw the leg off and add a bit – well, cut the ship in half and extend it. The car dealers call it a cut and shunt, but it happens to a lot of older ships that need to be bigger in the new market. Fred Olsen’s Boudicca started life at 583 feet and is now 689 feet long. Unless we have it wrong, they are cutting it in half and adding 49 feet. Often ships are built in modular form so I would imagine the mid section is to be built before and this ‘operation’ will take place quicker than expected and as with most modern ‘surgeries’ she will be out of the hospital and running in no time. But as she was only built in 2009 it is a huge telling of how the market has changed from then, only 8 years ago. Nowadays a ship that only holds 540 guests is very small, see our list of small ships where only the SAGA Pearl II is smaller and SAGA have just ordered two completely new modern ships, Spirit of Discovery and Sprit of Adventure. We wonder whether SAGA will then release the smaller ship from service or keep it; time will tell. P&O’s parent company have four new ships on order, Cunard have announced a new ship. There is no doubt you can offer more on a bigger ship with more passengers and a bigger cash flow. The Aurora could be considered a great size for a small ship that stays roomy, but it is what was called a mid sized ship. The newest biggest ship afloat has nearly 7,000 guests and stage full on West End musicals and has waterfall that drops 10 decks, offers the very best fine dining options and many private areas to hide away; that is a town. With Silversea Cruises new ship flagship, the Silver Muse in service with eight superb restaurants it allows the Silver Spirit to go out of service, but the Muse only holds just under 600 guests so we wait to see the direction of the Silver Spirit. Small is good, but passengers are now expecting more than ever. Here is the Silver Seas press release.CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Canaries Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
Maybe we will be adding Silversea to our list of ship operators we deal with…. more work for our IT department and they still haven’t quite got the current list up to date! Memo to downstairs….
CRUISE INSURANCE THAT EVEN THE CRUISE SHIPS SELL, AND WE ADD NOTHING ON, JUST CLICK HOLIDAY EXTRAS – OR OUR BLOG
BUY YOUR BIG BUS TICKET HERE, THE QR CODE CAN THEN BE USED TO PRINT OUT YOUR TICKET BY ANY OPERATIVE NO QUEUE, NO GOING TO AN OFFICE – TICKET AT BEST PRICE WITH NO HASSLE
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. We show cruise destinations all over the world. From St Lucia to Barcelona, from Tallinn to Tenerife, from Rome to Russia. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share.
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to New York direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to New York with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- MARELLA Cruises £50 off as associates we normally have a code to give you at least £50 off – to see if we have currently have that or a better offer – Click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Holiday Extras, car parks and Cruise Insurance
- Pontins special breaks like Big Bands and Early Christmas can be booked here. See Pontins special breaks here
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here