Santorini is the most southern Cyclades island in the Aegean Sea about 120 miles from the mainland of Greece. Considered by many to be one of the world’s most beautiful islands, it is a tender port visited normally by small and medium size ships and there is a cable car up from the port. Surrounded by Thirasia and Aspronisi, which were once part of a larger volcanic island, it is thought to be the site of the “Lost City of Atlantis”. This film is by Elizabeth and David from the Ruby Princess, which is rumoured to be the original ship the book Virgin Voyage was modelled on, if you are interested in romantic deck reads while visiting romantic islands. Sit, read and have a glass of wine on this magical island with numerous bars and cafés at the water’s edge.
Check out the tours offered by our guide widget to see what the island has to offer or just relax with the local wine and fish and look over the sea and ask yourself where it all went wrong! It certainly went wrong if you were near it when this volcano erupted as it is thought to have been the biggest volcanic eruption in history in around 1500BC. Many biblical stories have been linked with this huge eruption which resulted in Santorini as we know it today. Having destroyed settlements on what was a single island, it formed a giant rectangular lagoon, which measures about 7.5 by 4.3 miles with an island in the middle of that. It is surrounded by 980 ft steep cliffs on three sides forming the main island which slopes down the other side to the Aegean Sea. A small island called Theresa is the fourth side of the lagoon. Also explore the rest of ‘Caldera’s Eyebrow’ – the collection of towns and villages that line the rocky cliff face.
If you have a video of a port destination, please let us know by contacting us here at Doris Visits. Jean will be there next year on a number of different cruises as we start to look at the Aegean. The Ruby Princess is very similar to the Azura and Ventura.
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, please sign up to our Facebook Page and share with fellow cruisers. We are at sea every month of the year somewhere and post new films of cruise destinations each week. Facebook.
CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Adriatic Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATClicking the DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to THIRA, SANTORINI click here.
- P&O Cruises on SANTORINI Click here
- Marella SANTORINI Cruises – options click here
As always, take a look at the tours in the Get Your Guide box because that will show you what there is on the island. BOOK A SHIP ARRANGED CRUISE HERE – GO TO YOUR PERSONAL P&O CRUISE PLANNER HERE
- There has yet to be a book written in the Solo Cruiser series that is based around a mediterranean Cruise, but we here that one is being planned and that it takes place on a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise. The 4th book based in Florida and the Caribbean is due out early 2018. For now, if you have not read them, like in 50 Shades you might skim through the raunchy bits, but they are great cruise books with good stories. It never seems to work out the way it should though. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Be informed of new releases.
- MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE DESTINATIONS – MENU – CLICK HERE FOR GUIDES, TOWNS, CITIES & TOURSSEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA.