This film is shot by a drone, so it gets up and looks down at Riga, a feast of early 20th century ornate buildings in wide streets with a population of just under a million. It is the heart of Latvia and has become extremely cosmopolitan since the iron curtain was opened. It is a classic Hanseatic city with huge beautiful squares surrounded by colourful buildings, and it shows off great wealth and high fashion with cars and shoes. Latvia, and Riga in particular is not to be under estimated on any score. Life there can be very cheap compared with many European cities, food and drink can be a real treat for those wishing to have a fun weekend on a cheap flight (Ryanair goes there). Whilst not quite the chocolate city of Bruges (see our chocolate film), Riga has found a taste for home made chocolate. But food is a treat here and there are even tours based on food, just as there are tours on Soviet ghosts! But walking round this busy city is easy, however a map and a plan might save you time and you are likely to be given one as you leave the ship as well as be offered tours. You will fashion and creativity all over Riga. The Ballera has artists who make all kinds of things from paper. Panoramic views of the city can be got from some of the churches of the Academy of Science building. Many of the houses and the main square may remind you of Tallinn just a little, it also has the orange roofs when you do find those panoramic views.
A stroll through the narrow streets of its walled Old City would not be complete without seeing the magnificent organ and medieval wall mountings of the Dome Cathedral. You might want to watch with the sound off.
- P&O Cruises to Riga – Click here
- Fred Olsen Cruises to Riga – Click here
- Thomson Cruises – cruises stopping at Riga Cruises
- SAGA BALTIC CRUISE – View SAGA Baltic Cruises – Click here
READ the CRUISE as you CRUISE the SEA. If you know a great novel set at a cruise destination, tell us and we will add it to the destination page and credit you with the suggestion and on which ship you read it. The Perfect Storm (click picture for free Kindle version with Kindle Library) takes place on a cruise ship throughout the Baltic Sea and is a very descriptive adventure. We have started to list novels set at Cruise locations and set on ships, but that is yet another long job we need your help with.
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Luxury River Cruising – For a look at life on the river – Click Here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here