Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia. There is very little to do in Papeete itself. It is a major town based around the port. On docking, there will be some musicians playing by the ship, some stalls and buses, taxis and seaways waiting to take you wherever. It is expensive not just for tourists but for the people who live there. To put it in perspective, a cooked rotisserie chicken on sale from a van at the roadside is $13 to locals. Three times the price of a supermarket in the UK. A fridge magnet will cost $10 to $12.50, yes, it is ridiculously expensive. To enjoy it you will need to go to a beach, marina or a resort. Turn right at the docks and walk through the parks to stretch your legs, or contact a resort and book before you arrive; they might pick you up. A day at a resort will cost $100 each and might include lunch. We used the Manava Suite Resort which is shown in our film which is free and where some of the ship tour activities go from. Book something there and they will pick you up. The Marina is a $25 taxi ride away, the food, however, will be pricey. Expect a local beer to be $2 in a supermarket, $5 in a bar, and a cocktail to be not short of $20. So, the answer might be to take an excursion or a trip. Take a look at our film. We have done this route twice, both times we went to resorts.You need to get out to see unspoilt mountainous landscapes full of cascading waterfalls and dramatic coastal blowholes.
If you want a closer look at the Manava Suite and the rooms there, here is the longer film of the resort.
Doris Visits allows you to SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA.
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to Papeete direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to Papeete with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- TUI Cruises – TUI Cruises click here
- or for the late Thomson Cruise deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Pontins special breaks like Big Bands and Christmas Tinsel can be booked here. See Pontins special breaks here
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here
BOOKS SET IN TAHITI: The Water in Between: A Journey at Sea. Following a brief romance and a period of self pity, Kevin Patterson decided to have an adventure and sail in a boat to Tahiti from Canada. Quite a distance for someone who had never been in a boat. On Amazon