Gateway to season 6 of Game Of Thrones, Girona and Palamos on the Costa Brava
The Costa Brava runs from Barcelona for about 40km to the French border. The only remaining Spanish cruise stop that might be scheduled is the traditional fishing town of Palamos. The mountains and rugged coast line are the basis for Brava in Costa Brava. The historic Old Town is renowned for its hiking, water sports, fishing and waterfront bars fringed around the pretty harbour. Local red prawns or sambas are a specialty and will be on almost every menu. La Fosca beach sports the remains of an Iberian castle sits perched on the rocks if you want to walk along the coast.
GAME OF THRONES
For those of you addicted to the biggest television show ever, bigger than most films, Girona is less than an hour away. This is where you can find the Game Of Thrones tour. There are other things to do in Girona but the ruins and history, real and made up by George R R Martin are more than enough to fill a day. The Game of Thrones is a 2-hour walking tour in Girona, a city chosen as a setting for the hit series Game of Thrones, and where much of its sixth season was filmed. Learn about the secrets of the shooting, the main actors and the locations used, all explained by one of the characters who appeared as an extra in the series. When you’ve finished the walking tour, you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy an ice cream that was inspired by the hand that was cut off Jaime Lannister! This tour is just under £50 and is likely to sell out so best booked before you travel all the way there. Google transit offers a regional train from Palamos to Girona that takes about 90 minutes.
Girona, Figueres & Dalí Museum
The Dalí Theatre and Museum is a museum of the artist Salvador Dalí in his home town of Figueres. Dalí is buried there in a crypt below the stage. There is likely to be a tour here, you can research a version here. Girona is on the river Onyar and although this film is in Spanish, Ruben is fun. Good City guide.
If you are worried how to choose which cruise, which ship and where to go, take a look at our how to choose a cruise blog. CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Mediterranean Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
Clicking the DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to Palamos for Girona – Click here
- P&O Cruises to Palamos for Girona – Click here
- Marella Cruises – Marella Western Mediterranean Cruises
- Marella Cruises Cruise Chat – share your experiences, reviews, pictures, films and help others with their questions. JOIN THE CHAT GROUP There has yet to be a book written in the Solo Cruiser series that is based around a mediterranean Cruise, but we here that one is being planned and that it takes place on a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise. The 4th book based in Florida and the Caribbean is due out early 2018. For now, if you have not read them, like in 50 Shades you might skim through the raunchy bits, but they are great cruise books with good stories. It never seems to work out the way it should though. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.
- MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE DESTINATIONS – MENU – CLICK HERE FOR GUIDES, TOWNS, CITIES & TOURS