8.4 Billion dollars expanding the Suez a few years ago is having positive effect. Oceana adds Arabian Adventures to its 2019 itinerary, so it won’t just be the Arcadia World or Fred Olsen who takes you there. Who else will go through the canal?
SUEZ CANAL to SALALAH, MUSCAT, DUBAI
When Doris Visits went to the World Travel Market at the end of last year, one of the things that was being pushed very hard was the work between governments and tourist agencies to open up some areas of the world that were being avoided. Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi who has now held power in Egypt since 2014 is said by some to be building Egyptian stability through achievements. His 8 billion dollar expansion of the Suez Canal is having a positive effect. Egypt means business! It also opens the Middle East for bigger business and cruise ships adding the over 100 mile transit through the canal may be a sign of its success. The Middle East is changing fast; over 80% of Dubai’s population are non native and have gone there to live, work and play hard and have better life styles than they could achieve at home. The expansion of the Suez Canal can be a historic sea change in people getting to know each other, integrate and mix more, that always achieves something! This connection is so important that Pharaohs as far back as the 2nd millennium BC were trying to achieve this. This video takes you through at motorway speed in under two minutes.
The Suez Canal makes the Middle East closer and quicker to get to. However, even with the canal Dubai is still a long way away to be in a short cruise unless you fly cruise, and the Oceana offers that in 2019. We have never travelled on this ship, but before it goes there we will have joined the ship at least twice and will be able to show you round and its many special destinations. The Oceana is probably a ship for those who like history for it often explores Greece and the Roman empire. Valletta in Malta with it’s 16th century bastion walls and spectacular views of the Grand Harbour are in the outward journey. This port may get much busier if cruise traffic increases.
The Suez passage is then an unforgettable route from Port Said, Suez in the Mediterranean to the Port Tewfik in the Red Sea. Originally a one way passage for a considerable length when built in 1869, it contains no locks system. Seawater flows freely north of the Bitter Lakes flows north in winter and south in summer. The expansion of the Ballah Bypass, some 35 km of waterway, cost 8.4 billion. Suez extends from the northern terminus of Port Said to the southern terminus of Port Tewfik at the city of Suez.
Salalah originally the capital of Dhofar it is the largest city in the Province and the second largest city in the Sultanate of Oman. It became famous for its incense trade in the 13th century and is said to be fragrant with frankincense, littered with ancient ruins and home to the Queen of Sheba’s palace. Much history has been told and retold here and a fantastic day awaits you. The sultan traditionally lives in Salalah rather than the capital Muscat your likely next stop. Muscat has been known as an important trading port since the first century and is a fast growing multi ethnic city rapid advances to infrastructural development that has led to a vibrant economy heading towards a population of 2 million. The influences of the Persians, the Portuguese the Ottoman Empire and its own influence extending as far as East Africa and Zanzibar are all still evident.
Dubai is likely to be next, often called the ‘Pearl of the Arabian Gulf’ it is a heady mix of hot sun, parties, alcohol, high-rise architecture, the cleanest metro ever, youth, polo playing, the tallest building in the world and boutique shopping. We have ten films on Dubai and our son and his wife lived there for years. The Oceana then goes on but it is your choice whether to disembark in Dubai or further explore. The ship cruises the area for some time after this and takes in the ports listed below. Please share and use our links into P&O to book. Thank you. Hey, if you film a port let us know.
- Oceana 902 10th to 30th January 2019, Southampton to via Suez Canal. ends Dubai. Click here for more details, availability and to book. You can join 902 and 903 together.
- Oceana 903 30th Jan to 9th Feb 2019, Dubai to Dubai. Click here for more details, availability and to book. PORT STOPS – Sir Bani Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, Manama, Khor al Fakkan, Khasab
- Oceana 904 9th Feb to 19th Feb 2019, Dubai to Dubai. Click here for more details, availability and to book. PORT STOPS – Manama, Abu Dhabi, Sir Bani Yas Island, Muscat, Khasab
- Oceana 905 9th Feb to 1st March 2019, PORT STOPS – Dubai to Dubai. Click here for more details, availability and to book. PORT STOPS – Manama, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Khasab, Sir Bani Yas Island
- Oceana 906 1st March to 11th March 2019, Dubai to Dubai. Click here for more details, availability and to book. PORT STOPS – Manama, Abu Dhabi, Khor al Fakkan, Khasab, Sir Bani Yas Island
- Oceana 907 11th March to 21st March 2019, Dubai to Dubai. Click here for more details, availability and to book. PORT STOPS – Manama, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Khasab, Sir Bani Yas Island
- Oceana 908 21st March to 9th April 2019, Dubai to Malta via Suez Canal. View here for details
- Boudicca The Fred Olsen ship Boudicca is one of the few ships in and out of Dubai in the autumn month of October. Leaving Abu Dhabi, it in stops for one day in Dubai on its cruise entitle Authentic India. The stop in Kochi (Cochin) is where they film The Real Marigold Hotel series 2. View Here on FO site.
Take advantage of Early Saver Deals when available for these cruises. We have videos of many of the cruise stops you might make from Miami to Tahiti, from Bruges to St Maarten. With your help we will build more and be a better resource for cruisers. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share and book via links on our site. Thank you.
- Clicking the DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found
- P&O Cruises to Dubai – Click here
- Fred Olsen Cruises to Dubai – Click here
- Thomson Cruises – Thomson Dubai Cruises
- Saga Cruises – Click here
- GAME OF THRONES DUBROVNIK ANGELS & DEMONS TAKE ON ROME A number of ships are now basing themselves in Dubai and offering cruises locally or back and forth through the Suez Canal now it has been expanded and is open for big business. Fly cruises and cruises. The Arcadia is going there.
Join the Oceana chat and share your knowledge. These cruises go to places that the other ships might not, so share your knowledge or ask questions on the chat site.