Between 1855 and 1890 Castle Clinton was the immigration station of the state of New York. It is likely to be the boat station you will head for on your tour to Liberty Island. You will go through detailed security then take a boat to Liberty Island. Your tour will take an hour, there are restrooms but if you want to go up the statue it will take a lot longer and you must buy tickets to the top before you travel to the island. Should you also wish to then cross to Ellis Island as seen on another film, that will take another hour. Make sure you leave time. The basic boat travel ticket (not going up Liberty) to both islands including audio guides was part of our Big Bus Adventure.
We have a second film on the Statue of Liberty about the leaping off it by the stunt coordinator of American Werewolf in Paris, Stuart St Paul.
In 1811 the Star-shaped Fort Wood was built on Liberty Island, then Bedloe’s Island. The statue, conceived in 1865, began construction in Paris by the designers of the Eiffel Tower. Between 1881 and 84 the statue was erected in Paris. To this day the statue faces France. In 1884 designer Richard Morris Hunt designed the pedestal and the next year the statue, already being called the eighth wonder of the world was dismantled in France. In 1886 it was re-assembled where you see it now.
There is limited access to the crown and tickets must be bought in advance. The torch is permanently closed unlike in the film.
Having seen the amazing statue, if you want to know how they jumped off the top, the torch, for the movie American Werewolf in Paris see guest Stuart St Paul in his film for Doris Visits.
If you are on a New England Cruise we have many films that might help you plan, or excite you about your forthcoming trip, or if you are undecided they might just sway you to this route. They include, Boston Cheers, Boston Harbour Walk, Boston Clough House, Boston Quincy Market and Freedom Trail, New York Statue of Liberty and Island trip, NY Ellis Island, NY Empire State Building by Night, NY Big Bus Blue Route, NY Big Bus Purple Route, NY Big Bus Red Route, Baltimore Guide, Charleston Guide and Bermuda.
CRUISE INSURANCE THAT EVEN THE CRUISE SHIPS SELL, AND WE ADD NOTHING ON, JUST CLICK HOLIDAY EXTRAS – OR OUR BLOG
BUY YOUR BIG BUS TICKET HERE, THE QR CODE CAN THEN BE USED TO PRINT OUT YOUR TICKET BY ANY OPERATIVE NO QUEUE, NO GOING TO AN OFFICE – TICKET AT BEST PRICE WITH NO HASSLE
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. We show cruise destinations all over the world. From St Lucia to Barcelona, from Tallinn to Tenerife, from Rome to Russia. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share.
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to New York direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to New York with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Thomson Cruises – Thomson Cruises
- or for the late Thomson Cruise deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Holiday Extras, car parks and Cruise Insurance
- Pontins special breaks like Big Bands and Early Christmas can be booked here. See Pontins special breaks here