The first time we went to New York it was tough and we felt we had seen nothing of it and felt disappointed. This time we decided that as it is a huge city like London, and it needs both explaining and to be put into perspective, we decided to take the Bus Tour. We went with Big Bus as we had met them in Rome and done the same and they let us film. Thanks Big Bus because it means we have three very good films to explain New York; first the red route, DownTown New York. I start by saying there may have been a detour, it happens in New York especially on Sundays, but this is pretty much the route as planned. Normally first bus leaves at 8am and the last bus leaves 6pm, from bust stop 1, which is by their very helpful customer information centre in Time Square near M&M World. Tip, wear something warm if it is chilly, don’t stand up and keep your head down as trees and traffic signals hurt! Our film has a lot in it, but no where near all you will see and take in from the great guides. NEW YORK BIG BUS TOUR – BLUE Diana Smith, Office Manager & National Project Coordinator in New York for Big Bus said of our three films. “You make me want to take a tour I have done thousands of times again!”
If you book the Big Bus with us before 31st Dec 2017 Doris Visits has a code that works with our link, that gives you 12% off. BIGBUSTOURS12 Click the advert then use the code.Join your favourite ship’s CHAT & COMMUNITY on Facebook – click here to see
- STOP 1 – M&M World – W 42nd St & Broadway. Here is Times Square, Fifth Avenue, Madame Tussauds and the half price ticket booth. You could walk to Bryant Park or Maceys, we suggest take the bus first – get acquainted with New York.
- STOP 2 – Bryant Park – W 42nd Street & 6th Avenue should be ten minutes away, but New York has traffic.
- STOP 3 – 5th Avenue Midtown – 37th & 5th Avenue you are now fourteen minutes in. Chrysler Building, Radiator Building.
- STOP 4 – Empire State Building and Korea Town – 5th Ave & W 32nd Street and you have been on the bus 16 minutes. We suggest you stay on because when you get your bearings you can walk to the Empire State Building and Macy’s later. See our Empire State Building film, we saw it at night. Wow factor!
- STOP 5 – Flatiron District – 5th Ave & 23rd Street – you can see the Flat Iron Building from the bus and hear the commentary, so stay on, now 23 minutes into the ride plus traffic.
- STOP 6 – Union Square – 5th Ave & W 14th Street – still only about 23 minutes into the trip. Sundays this place can have demonstration going on so it might get missed. It is the protest ground.
- STOP 7 – Greenwich, New York University – E. 8th Street & Mercer Street and 27 minutes done, ours was now taking longer in traffic. Her you find Washington Square. And the Art schools and some trendy delis.
- STOP 8 – Noho – 640 Broadway – 29 minutes gone.
- STOP 9 – Soho and Little Italy for shopping and fashion. Bleecker Museum and the old Singer sowing machine building used in West Side Story. – now 32 minutes in, we suggest you stay on the bus and listen to the guide.
- STOP 10 – Chinatown – Lafayette & Walker St .
- STOP 11 – Brooklyn Bridge, City Hall – Park Row & Beekman now 41 minutes in you might want to get off and inspect the buildings seen in so many TV shows, there may be a Big Bus walking tour here but ask, it is not listed. Also One World Observatory, Brooklyn Bridge, Woolworth Building and Municipal Building.
- The 9-11 sites and memorials are between 11 and 12.
- STOP 12 – Wall Street and Charging Bull – Corner Broadway and Rector Street and you have nearly done an hour and learnt a lot about New York. Nearby is the Trump Building and 40 Wall Street. was forward to Trinity church, the oldest church in New York runs tours every weekday at 2pm.
- STOP 13 – State Street and Pearl Street – Battery Park and the transfer to the boat for Liberty Island and Ellis Island, see our film, you need time for these. This is also the transfer to the green line which goes into Brooklyn. This is an hour in, and we got off to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, see our films that will explain a lot for you. From here you can walk to the 9-11 site, walk back to Trinity Church and the Bull.
- STOP 14 – South Street Seaport – South Street & Fulton Street – is an infix development that came with the British after New Amsterdam. There is a museum as well as some old ships, we show this area in our Brooklyn to Manhattan film. It is a trendy drinking and dining area. After leaving this stop look back for views of the Brooklyn Bridge a real Kodak moment. see the film. You can hire a Blazing Saddles bike here on your Big Bus deal.
- STOP 15 – Lower East Side – 80 Allen Street – these are mainly residential areas, but an area where you will find clubs and new bands playing. You need a local to help you find the gems.
- STOP 16 – East Village – 1st Avenue & E 11th Street – as above.
- STOP 17 – United Nations Building – 1st Ave and E 45th Street
- STOP 43 – Waldorf Astoria – 49th St between 3rd and Lexington.
- STOP 18 – Rockefeller Centre – 49th Street & 5th Avenue – and two hours have gone by and you are nearly done. You are back in Fifth Avenue and you could walk to Central Park from here. See our Rockefeller film.
- STOP 19 is back to M&M World and the Big Bus office, Times Square etc etc. 2 hours and ten minutes, but with traffic it could be a whole lot longer. But, you now know a lot about New York. NEW YORK BIG BUS TOUR – PURPLE
CRUISE INSURANCE THAT EVEN THE CRUISE SHIPS SELL, AND WE ADD NOTHING ON, JUST CLICK HOLIDAY EXTRAS – OR OUR BLOG
BUY YOUR BIG BUS TICKET HERE, THE QR CODE CAN THEN BE USED TO PRINT OUT YOUR TICKET BY ANY OPERATIVE NO QUEUE, NO GOING TO AN OFFICE – TICKET AT BEST PRICE WITH NO HASSLE
NEW YORK LIBRARY GRAND CENTRAL STATIO NEW YORK ELLIS ISLAND NEW YORK CENTRAL PARK STATUE OF LIBERTY TOUR JUMPING OFF STATUE OF LIBERTY BROOKLYN CRUISE TERMINAL ACCESS ROCKEFELLER CENTER SAIL UNDER HUDSON BRIDGE EMPIRE STATE BLGD @ NIGHT
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to New York direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to New York with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- MARELLA Cruises £50 off as associates we normally have a code to give you at least £50 off – to see if we have currently have that or a better offer – Click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
Follow us to see … the sea Join your favourite ship’s CHAT & COMMUNITY on Facebook – click here to see