‘I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing’, like Marty Kristian
One of the nicest guys to have come out of the 1970’s unforgettable music factory is Marty Kristian of the band THE NEW SEEKERS. In the 1970’s he was the one who every girl had pinned on the bedroom wall, the blond guy from The New Seekers who sang the Coke a cola song! He moved to London from Australia in the late sixties working his passage on the ship the ‘Fair Trade’. He then shared a flat with the then unknown David Bowie before becoming the founder member of The New Seekers. Somehow he ended up with one of David Bowie’s shirts which he treasured until his wife Carol gave it to charity in a clean out! He was not pleased.
Marty toured the world, Coca-Cola took on the song I’d Like To Teach The World To Sing In Perfect Harmony and for a while all he knew was planes. hotels and playing gigs like Maddison Square Gardens with Michael Jackson.
There can be few stars who have seen such stardom, regularly appearing on Top Of The Pops and in the USA the ED Sullivan Show, Sonny & Cher Show, Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett and Andy Williams Show his career has spanned four decades. Shows like Morecambe and Wise, venues like Las Vegas. He hung up the guitar to spend time with his family. Now his two sons have grown up, the cruise circuit has persuaded him to come back, with his guitar, and just tell his stories and sings a little. He has been a celebrity guest for P&O, Fred Olsen and SAGA with an arsenal of insights and humorous anecdotes. He mainly works for Fred Olsen now and is often featured in their brochures. He has met Henry Kissinger, The Beatles, Olivia Newton-John, Queen the band and the real Queen Mother who attended the opening of one of his murals. Marty truly is an unforgettable artist who writes songs, sings, paints, sculpts and genuinely has many many stories to tell.
This amazing journey is a period of musical history with many many hits including Beg Steal or Borrow, You Won’t Find Another Fool Like Me, Circles and Never Ending Song Of Love which make Marty one of the real musical greats who we are pleased to call a friend. Here he is pictured with Cathy who is sadly no longer with us, and Paul Layton; three of the New Seekers. They are being interviewed live on stage at the Tyneside Summer Exhibition in Newcastle, 1978 by Metro Radio DJ Stuart St Paul who is also on the cruise circuit telling those old stories; he works for P&O. The three men are still friends to this day and still play golf together regularly and are all members of the Stage Golfing Society as are the Eric and Ernie tribute who play the Britannia and many others. Marty loves the Adriatic and beyond and cruises with his wife Carol.
CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Adriatic Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATDORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to VENICE – click here
- P&O Cruises to VENICE – click here
- Marella Cruises to Venice – click hereCHAT and share your love of small ships, and answer other peoples questions. Join the Fred Olsen Cruise Chat Facebook Group.
- There has yet to be a book written in the Solo Cruiser series that is based around a mediterranean Cruise, but we here that one is being planned and that it takes place on a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise. The 4th book based in Florida and the Caribbean is due out early 2018. For now, if you have not read them, like in 50 Shades you might skim through the raunchy bits, but they are great cruise books with good stories. It never seems to work out the way it should though. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.
- MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE DESTINATIONS – MENU – CLICK HERE FOR GUIDES, TOWNS, CITIES & TOURS