After three days at sea out to the Canary Islands, Madeira, otherwise known as the Garden Island, is likely to be your first stop.It is the most beautiful island with a wonderful display of sub-tropical plants and flowers. A few months before this film was made, in the dry heat there was a terrible bush fire that destroyed homes and killed three people. The results were seen from the cable car.
This film shows most of the island tourist places, the bus tour, cable car and old town. You can walk into town from the ship and along the promenade.
It is hardly surprising that large and colourful flower markets are one of the most arresting features of Funchal, Madeira’s capital, though next door is the fish market that reminds you the island has a history of working the sea. Fado music is the local music about poverty, working at sea and loss. Madeira is also known for its aquarium where you can dive with sharks, rays, morays and hundreds of other fish. Whale and dolphin watching are other featured activities for visitors.Find your ship’s chat site + share your pictures + experiences to help others The market town is easily walkable but the further you go the steeper and narrower some of the streets become. On Rua Santa Maria, where there are many restaurants, art work can be found on most of the doors as this film shows. Sometimes you can smell the aroma of the locally made wicker furniture. Lacework and tapestries are also local trades as is the ubiquitous very sweet Madeira wine. There is a lot to see here and an over night is special. Places to see, the bank opposite the Cathedral, Rue Santa Maria, the Cable car, Gardens and Toboggan ride. We also show you the glass cliff top platform and bus tour.
The fishing village of Camara de Lobos where Churchill went to paint, is also worth a visit. Camacha, the wicker centre; the Levada walks, part of an ancient irrigation system; and to Reids Hotel for traditional afternoon tea, making cruises to Madeira a must do. Many of these sites and more feature in our Madeira film.
Please add your comments and pictures
Tours available from your ship will probably include
- Tea at Reid’s
- Famous Toboggan Ride
- Evening with Folklore (if overnight)
- Deep Sea Fishing
- Cable Car and Toboggan
- Levada Walk
- Jeep Adventure
- Discover Whales and Dolphins by ‘rib’.
- The Caves of São Vicente
- Eco City Tour, Tuhxi Madeira
- Farmers Market and Botanical Gardens
- Leisurely Scenes of Madeira
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, we invite you to comment at the end of our blogs, and ask you for follow us on here on www.DorisVisits.com and like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get the best from us. We are always looking for a social media persons to help us expand so drop us a line anytime at press@DorisVisits.co.uk PLEASE SHAREclick here for the New Canary Island cruise menu including West Africa & Cape Verde
DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- P&O Cruises to MADEIRA click here.
- Fred Olsen Cruises to MADEIRA Click here
- Marella MADEIRA Cruises – click here
- Marella Cruises Cruise Chat – share your experiences, reviews, pictures, films and help others with their questions. JOIN THE CHAT GROUP In this novel, accurately painted on the back ground of a Canary Islands cruise, Violet Beckett takes her first cruise late in life and determined to enjoy herself. A confused woman with problems to over come, she wants to find love, to travel and do everything she has never done. She is a tormented lady who for years was agoraphobic may just be swapping one safe haven for another, or is she about to come out of herself and find love. An adult romance as she dreams more than she actually finds, but it is a view of life on board ship you may not get to see as she eventually gets offered a job. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Canaries Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATCRUISE INSURANCE OUR BLOG