Doris Visits Madeira with an overnight stay.
After three days at sea which seemed to fly by, we arrived in Madeira, otherwise known as the Garden Island because of the wonderful display of sub-tropical plants and flowers. A few months before we arrived there was a terrible bush fire that destroyed homes and killed three people. The results were seen from the cable car.
You can walk into town from the ship and it is easy to see the route and how far it is.
It is hardly surprising that large and colourful flower markets are one of the most arresting features of Funchal, Madeira’s capital, though next door is the fish market that reminds you the island has a history of using the sea. Madeira is also known for its aquarium where you can dive with sharks, rays, morays and hundreds of other fish. Whale and dolphin watching are other featured activities for visitors to the island which is about twice the size of the Isle of Wight.
The market town is easily walkable and the further you go the steeper and narrower some of the streets become. On Santa Maria street, where there are many restaurants art work can be found on most of the doors. It features on the main Madeira film. Locally made wicker furniture gives a positive aroma to the clean air. Lacework and tapestries are also local trades as is the ubiquitous Madeira wine.
It will not surprise you that Funchal is also the base for tours to the island’s botanical gardens; the fishing village of Camara de Lobos where Churchill went to paint, this also features on our main Madeira film. Camacha, the wicker centre; the Levada walks, part of an ancient irrigation system; and to Reids Hotel for traditional afternoon tea, making cruises to Madeira a must do. Many of these sites and more feature in our Madeira film.
See the film on the Monte Palace Tropical Gardens.
The Toboggan Ride
Lastly the toboggan ride is great fun and one of the things Funchal is famous for. We thought we would show you the run in full although it is shown briefly in the main film. If you want to know what the toboggan run is like the full four minutes is covered.
The cable car, tropical gardens and toboggan ride are enough for one day without all the other things the island has to offer.
Please add your comments and pictures
Tours available from your ship will probably include
- Tea at Reid’s
- Famous Toboggan Ride
- Evening with Folklore (if overnight)
- Deep Sea Fishing
- Cable Car and Toboggan
- Levada Walk
- Jeep Adventure
- Discover Whales and Dolphins by ‘rib’.
- The Caves of São Vicente
- Eco City Tour, Tuhxi Madeira
- Farmers Market and Botanical Gardens
- Leisurely Scenes of Madeira
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, we invite you to comment at the end of our blogs, and ask you for follow us on here on www.DorisVisits.com and like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get the best from us. We are always looking for a social media persons to help us expand so drop us a line anytime at press@DorisVisits.co.uk PLEASE SHARE
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. We show cruise destinations all over the world. From St Lucia to Barcelona, from Tallinn to Tenerife, from Rome to Russia. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share.
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to Madeira direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to Madeira with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Thomson Cruises – Thomson Cruises
- or for the late Thomson Cruise deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
READ THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. In the book charts!
Sally Katz used the films on Doris Visits to peg her books on! With permission. Each book takes place over a cruise and has incredible inside news and information on cruise lines and shipping. She told of the same sex marriage at sea (book2) plans a year before they were released!! Book 1 is a Canary Islands cruise, Book 2 is in the Baltic, Book 3 is in the Caribbean. Adult romance, Bridget meets 50 Shades on a ship!
- The Royal Caribbean – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Click here or for the latest deals click here