La Spezia Guide, video report by Jean for Doris Visits
La Spezia is situated in Northern Italy between Genoa and Pisa. It is a commercial port with a modern terminal and one that is easy to explore from. It is straightforward to get the train to Pisa or Florence. Also, Cinque Terre is a very popular place to visit from La Spezia. It can’t be reached by car though, you have to go by boat or train. It is normally a long stop here, we arrived around 7am and had to re-board by 1830hrs, that is fairly standard.
Old La Spezia is charming with its bars, cafes and restaurants. Castillo de San Georgio dominates the town and is interesting to explore. If you want to work off some calories it is a challenging climb although there is a free elevator in the main street which gives you easy access. Have a look at our film where we explain where it is. The castle was built in the 17th century. Entrance is a few Euros and the Museum rooms a little more. The views are worth it though there is little castle to see. The views over the bay make it worth the climb. Within the castle, there is an archaeology museum where you have to pay an entrance fee.
There is a small train which will take you round the town and a naval museum is a prominent attraction. If you want to just chill, Viareggio beach is also accessible from the port. Handy tips – There is a dress code for Italian churches. Knees and shoulders have to be covered. Also if using buses and trains, you MUST validate tickets. The train should be validated before you get on. But, if you wish to use La Spezia as a gateway, the train station is easy.
Like all ships, the Britannia is always popular on this Mediteranean route so book early, take advantage of Early Saver Deals when available for this cruise. Find a LATE DEAL over a coffee from your arm chair? Doris Visits allows you to SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA.CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Mediterranean Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
Clicking the DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to LA SPEZIA click here.
- P&O Cruises on LA SPEZIA Click here
- Marella Cruises – La Spezia Cruises
- Marella Cruises Cruise Chat – share your experiences, reviews, pictures, films and help others with their questions. JOIN THE CHAT GROUP There has yet to be a book written in the Solo Cruiser series that is based around a mediterranean Cruise, but we here that one is being planned and that it takes place on a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise. The 4th book based in Florida and the Caribbean is due out early 2018. For now, if you have not read them, like in 50 Shades you might skim through the raunchy bits, but they are great cruise books with good stories. It never seems to work out the way it should though. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.
- MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE DESTINATIONS – MENU – CLICK HERE FOR GUIDES, TOWNS, CITIES & TOURS