One of the most prominent destinations in the Mediterranean, Dubrovnik is perched between mountains and sea on Croatia’s Dalmatian Coast. An UNESCO World Heritage Site, the historic maritime city of Dubrovnik is without doubt the ‘Jewel of the Adriatic’. It has a very colourful past and just trying to detail it would upset someone, so let us just say that the names of Dubrovnik and Ragusa ran in parallel for some time and Ragusa was founded in the 7th century. It was the name for a “rocky island” so called Lausa, by refugees from Epidaurum (Ragusa Vecchia), a Greek city situated some 15 km to the south, when that city was destroyed in the Slavic incursions. Historic monuments and scarred streets tell tales of battles for independence. The 12th century walled city of Dubrovnik is easy to explore on foot. A walk around the Ramparts – the great walls of the Old Town that are almost 2km long and up to 25 metres high in places is a good start. You will have your feast of sea views and Baroque buildings. Other points of interest include
- the Onofrio fountain at Pile Gate – built in 1438 for people coming into town to wash away any plague germs
- Fort Lovrijenac, has become a key theatre venue in the annual Dubrovnik Summer Festival
- The 14th century Franciscan Monastery, home to a wonderful statue of the Piéta carved in 1498
- The world’s oldest pharmacy (est. 1391)
- a fort built to protect the freedom of Dubrovnik from the Venetian invasion
- Gothic Sponza Palace, now a museum but once a 16th century customs house and mint.
- The 18th century Baroque Church of St Blaise, Dubrovnik’s patron saint.
- Cable car to Mount Srdj – This cable car ride offers a breathtaking vista of the Old Town and the Adriatic Sea, while the aptly named hilltop restaurant allows Panoramic views.
- The promenade, Porporela is a sea-gazing meeting place for lovers where they gaze out to sea.
You will then have earned a break in a restaurants or cafés in one of the narrow streets, that is if you are not tempted to browse the art galleries, lacework, oil paintings, ceramics, an array of fruit, vegetables, olive oils, honey and fiery local spirits on offer..
Or if you have been here before, try a water taxi to Lokrum Island just off the coast of Dubrovnik, which was the site of a Benedictine monastery for the best part of a century. Here you can walk around its botanical gardens, nature reserve and onto the nudist beach.
Currently there filming, on Aurora R717, the film will follow late October early November when we will repost with a picture.
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, we invite you to comment at the end of our blogs, and ask you for follow us on here on www.DorisVisits.com and like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get the best from us. We are always looking for a social media persons to help us expand so drop us a line anytime at press@DorisVisits.co.uk PLEASE SHARE
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA.
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to Dubrovnik direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to Dubrovnik with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Thomson Cruises – Thomson Cruises
- or for the late Thomson Cruise deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Find out more about the entertainers and show cast you see at sea & share with friends.
Check out some of the great Cruise Routes, our concise films of what a ship offers when it takes a specific route. These are typical routes but we do have films to help cruisers on every popular cruise destination in the world. Baltic Route – Canary Islands Cruise – New England Cruise – Caribbean Cruise (from Barbados) – Norwegian Fjords – Mediterranean Routes
- The Royal Caribbean – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Click here or for the latest deals click here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Click here or for the latest deals click here