I am just grinning at one of the top cruise ship comedians Taffy Spencer, bemoaning having lost his luggage …. well, as they say in the song, ‘the days of Taffy Spencer’ …. days with no clean pants! Taffy, take a look at our top tip for people who fly and cruise, because if the plane is late, the ship will not wait for luggage lost by the airline or passengers on their tours who are late. Port costs can be thousands per minute not least the other passengers moaning if the ship is late to the next port. Now, being a magician, Taffy, with this gadget, a tracker, you can tell the ship and the airport exactly where your case is. A bit like ‘track my phone.” Except for a case. The Trakdot is a tracker you put in your case, it is used by the executive in book 3 of Solo Cruiser, American Portrait, who falls in love with Violet (spoiler alert). See Trakdot below, but you get how it works, like a phone. Comedian Manuel Martinez had his bags lost going from Grenada in the Caribbean back to gig the next night live at the Hammersmith Apollo!Marella Cruises to the Caribbean – click here to view Marella Cruise’s own web site page for – Caribbean Cruise deals page
What else to Pack
The old saying, he’s got long pockets and short arms, use to apply to people who could not find their wallets. It now applies to people who fly. Coats with hug pockets for heavy items! But, always remember, you can ship your bags separately from the airline. See here. And if you are picking up a world cruise by flight, you might be able to put your cases on in Southampton. Ask. Or, track your case on your phone and know where it is. So when you go to the desk and say my cases have not arrived, and the helpful person says they don’t know where they are, you can show them on your phone! click here. Yes, we have a few useful tips, but always like more. Especially good ones. Like with storms rocking the ocean, sea sickness bands might stay in the case.CHAT GROUP – P&O SHIPS – for those who cruise – share information or research your forthcoming cruise – use the cruise number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
SAGA quoted a 2013 survey, saying the average British holidaymaker spends an average of £26.50 during their holiday buying items they have forgotten to take with them. That is why we have packing tips lists.
- Save your pictures and take them off your mobile smartphone, before you go! Leaving you space to take new pictures when away.
- A spare memory card for your camera will be cheap if bought before you go.
You won’t buy memory cards this cheap when away, see below. Just saying.
- In your hand luggage pack – passport, visas, esta (USA), credit cards, insurance policy, European Medical Card and photocopy them all to have a record. Any medication you may need, tablets for a handover and plasters just in case. Sun cream insect repellent.
- It is a good idea to put a change of clothes in your hand luggage in case your bags take a while to be delivered. Especially if you are flying.
- What else to pack? Permanently in my suitcase are sea sickness bands. They sell them on board, and I have only needed them once, but they are always packed.
My bands were much more expensive than the ones featured below. Buy before you go. See below, that is the cheapest we have found them.
Some people say take Ginger, it may be worth taking some ginger tablets and a root to make a hot drink, certainly can’t harm.
- Packing can be a nightmare but relax! There is a laundry so even if you forget that extra item you can rotate your clothes and no one will be any the wiser. Bonus, there is less washing to do when you get home. There is also a laundry service and there will be a ship’s tailor on board, not a lot of people know that. So if you need that garment taking out, or in, just ask at reception.
- Battery charger for phone and camera. If you have lots of appliances you might like to pack a four-way extension block, I never travel without one. All your electronics must have a CE mark
- Sandwich bags, often very useful.
- Walking shoes! Even in the sunny places where you are leisurely, there will be hills to climb like up the castle in St Maarten. Hat, sunglasses and beach shoes. Fold up rain poncho/coat?
- Water holder. A bag, maybe a backpack with water bottle holder. See below for a belt version. Do not get dehydrated.
- Do you need to download any useful apps? Look at the Metro map? (see our guide on Barcelona) Like one to translate language or work out currency conversions. Travel and city maps or even a Doris Visits film from Youtube using ClipConvertor. Maybe go to google.com/transit and build your own walking route; to do that just add in the two locations and press the walker. When your way is up you can even drag the dots to change the route.
- Take a romantic book and make it a romantic holiday. Solo Cruiser book series is raunchy like 50 Shades and Bridget Jones, but book 1; Virgin Voyage, takes Violet around the Canaries. Book 2; Perfect Storm, takes you around the Baltics, and book 3; American Portrait, takes you from Canaveral around the Caribbean. Download all three to your Kindle or order them in paperback.
Trakdot SD Cards Sickness Bands Water Bottle Romantic Book
American Portrait has a storyline that twists on a trakdot. That is how we found it, our reader cruisers told us. One thing to think about is what kind of cabin do I want? This is obviously personal but a standard cabin is the cheaper option and if you are not going to be spending a lot of time there then that is all you need. Take a look, what more do you need?
- Inside cabin means you can sleep like a log, you don’t know when to wake up, they are darker and less noisy.
- Balcony cabin means you can sunbathe in private.
- Sometimes the restaurants offer a free bottle of wine if you visit on the first night. This happened to us in Atul Kochhar’s Sindhu restaurant on the Arcadia ….. And a very nice bottle it was too! Sometimes the last night of a cruise has such offers.
- A good tip is that when the ship is in port there will often be discounts on spa treatments, so if you finish exploring early that is a good day to visit the spa.
- Table tennis is always very popular and the first time we cruised I thought you probably had to go to the fitness reception to borrow the bats. Wrong. They are on the side of the table.
- If you order a Costa coffee you can have a free pastry. It took me a few cruises and a conversation with Manuel Martinez comedy comedian to find this out. The pastries at Costa are even more delicious than the ones in the self-service restaurant. and also free!
- If you watch Doris Visits we will show you literally hundreds of excursions that we took on our own, and we made it back to the ship in time. Don’t be frightened to use local buses and trains but give yourself time to get back and always have a backup plan (taxi)
- Carry the ship’s details or the daily newspaper.
- The hop on hop off is often a good bet, but in some places just not worth it. Most times it is very easy and Doris Visits will give you lots of tips on how to do it, and you save a fortune. See our bus tour of Rome
Don’t forget your insurance, even though the prices seem to keep going up. Maybe you can save by getting a cruise deal, check by our Compare the Cruise deal page, it is worth book marking as we update the links to all the cruise deal pages.
Book your next cruise using these links below direct to the cruise operators site and look for last minute deals there, that is where everyone else gets them from and resells them. Here is where to look. If you don’t want the late deal just search the site for the cruise you want and look for deals for booking. There are some further ideas on this page – click here
CRUISE INSURANCE THAT EVEN THE CRUISE SHIPS SELL, AND WE ADD NOTHING ON, JUST CLICK HOLIDAY EXTRAS – OR OUR BLOG
BUY YOUR BIG BUS TICKET HERE, THE QR CODE CAN THEN BE USED TO PRINT OUT YOUR TICKET BY ANY OPERATIVE NO QUEUE, NO GOING TO AN OFFICE – TICKET AT BEST PRICE WITH NO HASSLE
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. We show cruise destinations all over the world. From St Lucia to Barcelona, from Tallinn to Tenerife, from Rome to Russia. Please follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share.
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to New York direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to New York with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- MARELLA Cruises £50 off as associates we normally have a code to give you at least £50 off – to see if we have currently have that or a better offer – Click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Holiday Extras, car parks and Cruise Insurance
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here
Follow us to see … the sea OUR BEST SKI DEALS – UNSOLD CHALET SPACE