A firm favourite with cruisers and if you are not sure why, then you haven’t discovered all of one of Spain’s most important port cities for over 2000 years, Cartagena. To help you we have Jean’s film of the Port of Cartagena, we have the more official tourist film here. We also suggest you look at the tour highlights both with GTG and the ones available on ship, because this will reveal the secrets of this famous naval city. Cartagena has a natural harbour that is over seen by the medieval Castillio de la Concepcion and behind the protective walls is the old city. The Romans had a huge influence on Cartagena and some sites remain, and some are still being discovered. When you see the amphitheatre that dates from around 100BC, you will wonder two things, how have they only recently found it, and why have they made entrance hard to find. Luckily you can see it all from the surrounding elevated park.
Cartagena was built on 5 small hills by the Romans, that made Cartagena strategically hard to attack. It has many historic monuments although they now know many have disappeared. Between 5 and 1 BC and the Concepción Castle served as a fortress for the Carthaginians, Visigoths, Arabs and Castilians as well as the Romans. Cartagena is also home to a number of Modernist buildings that were designed and built by the pupils of Antoni Gaudi, the world famous architect renowned for designing the stunning La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
Cartagena is normally on the Strictly Come Dancing Cruise, one of the best cruises ever.
CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Mediterranean Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
Clicking the DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to CARTAGENA click here.
- P&O Cruises on BARCELONA Click here
- Marella Cruises – Marella Western Mediterranean Cruises
- Marella Cruises Cruise Chat – share your experiences, reviews, pictures, films and help others with their questions. JOIN THE CHAT GROUP There has yet to be a book written in the Solo Cruiser series that is based around a mediterranean Cruise, but we here that one is being planned and that it takes place on a Strictly Come Dancing Cruise. The 4th book based in Florida and the Caribbean is due out early 2018. For now, if you have not read them, like in 50 Shades you might skim through the raunchy bits, but they are great cruise books with good stories. It never seems to work out the way it should though. Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.
- MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE DESTINATIONS – MENU – CLICK HERE FOR GUIDES, TOWNS, CITIES & TOURS