Sardinia is renowned for having a population who live to be amongst the oldest people in the world; some put it down to the local Cannonau wine. Food and wine can be excellent in the villages but can also be disappointing in the port, but then again you wouldn’t eat out in Tilbury Docks! This can be an island for foodies, it can be an island for the beach; Lungomare, Poetto is a ten minute taxi drive and will be our destination next cruise. It is recommended by the locals. But if you are staying in town, then you will end up walking round and our video will show you what to see. Cagliari’s Italian name is Casteddu which means castle and it can trace its history back thousands of years, before the Romans (here in 238BC) to Neolithic times. The sheltered harbour over looked by the Castel di Castro has protected much including its rich assets like silver and other ores as well as salt and wheat. Cagliari was the capital of the Kingdom of Sardinia from 1324 to 1848 (taking in mainland including Nice, Savoy and Piedmont, not Italy), and today the city is a regional cultural, educational, political and artistic centre being Sardinia’s economic and industrial hub.Join a chat site of your favourite ship. Cagliari is one of the biggest ports in the Mediterranean Sea and it has an income level comparable to that of several northern Italian cities. The history is probably what you will wish to explore and most can be seen walking through the walled Castello area. Take in the remains of the ancient city of Karalis are still visible, including the ruins of a small circular temple, and numerous sepulchres on a hill outside forming the burial grounds Tuvixeddu necropolis. The 2nd Century Roman amphitheatre used open-air operas and concerts during the summer. You will also see the aqueduct and cisterns used to provide water, many museums, historic churches and ancient artefacts as well as the botanical gardens featuring 500 different plants. But, as a cruiser Jean suggests she has been spoilt by seeing some of the world’s great gardens and suggest you watch Madeira’s Monte Palace if you like Gardens.
Find out more about the entertainers and show cast you see at sea & share with friends.
Check out some of the great Cruise Routes, our concise films of what a ship offers when it takes a specific route. These are typical routes but we do have films to help cruisers on every popular cruise destination in the world. Baltic Route – Canary Islands Cruise – New England Cruise – Caribbean Cruise (from Barbados) – Norwegian Fjords – Mediterranean Routes
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, we invite you to comment at the end of our blogs, and ask you for follow us on here on www.DorisVisits.com and like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube Channel to get the best from us. We are always looking for presenters and social media activists to help us expand so drop us a line anytime with ideas at press@DorisVisits.co.uk PLEASE SHARE
- P&O Cruises – Book your cruise to Naples direct with P&O – Click here
- or for the Late P&O deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Fred Olsen – Book your cruise to Naples with Fred Olsen – Click here
- or for the late Fred Olsen deals click here to see the fleet click here
- TUI Cruises – TUI Cruises click here
- or for the late Thomson Cruise deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Saga Cruises – Search, check availability and book – Click here
- or for the late SAGA CRUISE deals click here to see the fleet click here
- Pontins special breaks like Big Bands and Christmas Tinsel can be booked here. See Pontins special breaks here
READ THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA. In the book charts!
Sally Katz used the films on Doris Visits to peg her books on! With permission. Each book takes place over a cruise and has incredible inside news and information on cruise lines and shipping. She told of the same sex marriage at sea (book2) plans a year before they were released!! Book 1 is a Canary Islands cruise, Book 2 is in the Baltic, Book 3 is in the Caribbean. Adult romance, Bridget meets 50 Shades on a ship!
How to access these deals – use the click here and when on the page, click the brown bar ‘see all cruises’ just above the pictures of the ships. That will take you to the deals we have.
- The Royal Caribbean – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Azamara Club Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Celebrity Cruises – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Norwegian Cruise Line – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Regent Seven Seas – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Cruise and Maritime Voyages – Fleet here or for the latest deals click here
- Holland & America – Fleet here or the latest deals we have click here