P&O Cruises is owned by the American Carnival company, sold in 2000. P&O Ferries is a British-based company under the parent company of an investment company that manages and supervises a very wide portfolio of businesses and projects in may areas for the Government of Dubai, called Dubai World. I mention all this because Dubai, which for years was based around oil, has moved and is moving big time into tourism. This is where it gets interesting. (we have 10 films on Dubai which has become a major cruise destination, not just for shoppers)
P&O Ferries began in the 1960s in the North Sea / English Channel. But by the late 1970s P&O the industry was in decline and businesses and assets were being carved up and sold. The Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company, began in 1882 as a partnership between Brodie McGhie Willcox, a London ship broker, and Arthur Anderson. Anderson was a sailor from the Shetland Isles – not to be confused with the accountant or actor. This P&O purchased a controlling interest in European Financial Holdings Ltd, which held European Ferries Group (Townsend Thoresen) and later created the joint venture Stena Line (UK) Ltd managing it all from its head office, Channel House in Dover. It is an over simplification to show that this company with a lady as CEO Janette Bell, who replaced Helen Deeble, is under a UAE parent since 2006.
Many of these ships have a capacity of around 20,000 passengers with routes around the the British Isles, and to Belgium and the Netherlands, there ships offer cabins, restaurants a buffet, and a band in the dance club and a more serious pianist in the lounge.
- Pride of Burgundy
- Pride of Canterbury
- Pride of Kent
- Spirit of Britain
- Spirit of France
- Pride of Bruges
- Pride of York
- Pride of Hull
- Pride of Rotterdam
- European Highlander
- European Causeway
- European Endeavour
- MS Norbank
- MS Norbay
- MS Norsky
- MS Norstream
- MS Bore Song
- MS Mistral
- MS Estraden
So, with the infrastructure, routes, ships and customer base, and the demise of smaller ships from major cruise operators, might we see a new player in the market expanding from ferry cruises to mini cruises. Will they be looking to buy the next small cruise ship put discarded by the bigger players, like the Adonia?
David, from the web site, How To Cruise, did a Hull to Bruges mini cruise for us for less than our compulsory service charge for our mini cruise with Cunard. How To Cruise co host the Doris Visits chat and community sites with us on Facebook, for over 50 different ships.
Advantages – no dress code, no bells and whistles, cheap. But is it a cruise? Not as cruisers know it, so if you are thinking of a Baltic Cruise (click) here is our menu of every major Baltic Cruise destination and some tours and excursions on video, plus tips.CLICK HERE for our new BALTIC CRUISE destinations menu – All parts and tours together, then a choice of every Baltic port in its own menu. CLICK HERECHAT GROUP – Cruise the Baltic Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
- DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals
- P&O Cruises to St Petersburg – Click here
- Fred Olsen Cruises to St Petersburg – Click here
- Marella Cruises to St Petersburg Cruises – Click me
- Disaster in the Baltic ! The book series has been in the charts for months. Book 2 all happens on a Baltic Cruise ! Adult action romance on a cruise.
Follow author Sally Katz by clicking her name and then on the author page on Amazon, click follow. Then as she releases a new book your are informed.
- Marella Cruises Cruise Chat – share your experiences, reviews, pictures, films and help others with their questions. JOIN THE CHAT GROUPWalking Shoes and what to pack. This is cruise of discovery and in maybe seven port stops with seven cities to explore you might need good shoes and few things. CLICK HERE for our new BALTIC CRUISE destinations menu – All parts and tours together, then a choice of every Baltic port in its own menu. CLICK HERECRUISE INSURANCE CAR PARKING DEALS ON BOARD ENTERTAINMENT